If you have not been to the dentist in a while, you are not alone. In fact, many adults who saw a dentist regularly as a child, become lapsed patients and stop going as often, if at all once they become adults. Because they do not go as often, many adults get a little bit of a fear of going, so they put it off even more. Often, they feel like they will be judged and are worried about getting defensive. The reality is, though, dentists see this every day and they would prefer you come in again after years than to never come again at all. If you think you are ready to find a dentist and begin going to regular cleanings again, here are a few tips to help you find the right dentist for you.
• Proximity to your home or work. If something is out of the way, chances are you will avoid it or find a reason to cancel. Instead, look for dentists that have offices near your home or work so that you have a convenient location to go to. You will be more likely to go if you can pop over on your lunch break or stop by first thing in the morning on your way to work from your house. By making it convenient for yourself, you will increase your chances of actually going.
• A dentist with a good personality. This may seem so obvious, but it is important. Your dentist should be someone you feel comfortable around, after all, they will be poking around in your mouth. Also, if you have not been in a while and have questions or dental issues, you will want to find someone who is laid back and kind and can help make you feel at ease.
• In network. If you have dental insurance, you should make sure that your dentist is in network in your plan. This means that the dentist has been approved by your insurance meaning they will cover many of the basic appointments like x-rays and cleanings, depending on your insurance plan. If you find a dentist who is not in your network, you will end up paying much more out of pocket because your insurance will not cover work done by that dentist.
• A wide range of specialities. If you think at some point in the future you might be interested in whitening, veneers or other kinds of cosmetic dentistry, you should look for a dentist that offers these things as well. That way, if you do decide to look into these options, you do not have to find a new dentist.
• A good office vibe. Make sure the dentist’s office you choose is clean and pleasant. Particularly if you have any fear of going to the dentist, it will be helpful to go to a place that helps you feel calm and relaxed and not on edge. Big windows with natural light are helpful, as are plants, nice décor and state-of-the-art dental technology.
It is true that going to the dentist after many years can be a bit daunting, but if you follow the tips above, you will find a dentist, like those at Riverfront Dental Denver, that will help make your first appointment back as easy as possible.